Sometimes the holidays can be tough with family. Well, anytime of the year can be tough when you are surrounded by family for a large period of time. Vacations, holidays, you name it. Too much time with anyone can be frustrating, overwhelming, and stressful. Even having my kids home from school for two weeks during winter break is tough. Here are some great tips on how you can survive the holidays while being with your family 24/7 (immediate or extended):
- Have a sense of humor – instead of getting your feelings hurt, try to laugh about it and move on. Remember that everyone is stressed and pushed to the limit during the holidays so don’t put too much weight on something if it isn’t necessary.
- Remember your boundaries – if you think someone is going to push your buttons, or you’ll get annoyed by them, stay away. Don’t sit by your cousin if their chewing annoys you or tell your mother-in-law you can only bring one dish instead of 3. Sometimes you have the ability to manipulate a situation in your favor. If someone or something annoyed you last year, figure out a way to alter the situation so it doesn’t come up again this year.
- Give up control – you can’t control everything so don’t even try.
- Don’t assume the worst – don’t sit there and stew about what you think someone was thinking. Roll with the punches and give your relative the benefit of the doubt.
- Be curious – instead of feeling like you have nothing in common with your Dad, that he doesn’t understand you, and that he’s constantly judging your behavior; figure out what you have in common with one another. Where are you alike? What are your similarities?
- Escape if you can – take a long bathroom break or tell your relatives you have another event to go to and leave a little early. Remove yourself from a situation before things get hairy.
- Be a good sport – so you don’t like to play games or wear ugly sweaters…who cares. Do it anyway and with a smile.
- Cherish the moments – if you find yourself getting stressed or overwhelmed, take a deep breath and live in the moment. It’ll be gone before you know it, so take it in and remember the goodness around you.
Shop Our Family PJs